Sunday, March 4, 2012

Giving this another shot....

We had a D&C in December, right before Christmas.  A month later, I went in to see Dr. P, our RE, for a consult on TTC again and starting treatments.  I mentioned that I still hadn't gotten my period and that I had gotten some positive pregnancy tests.  I told him we had only had sex twice in that last month, with no thoughts of getting pregnant.  Based on our history and that we were on a d&c cycle, he was convinced that it was retained tissue from the d&c and scheduled me for a second d&c 2 days later and ordered blood tests.  When they called that afternoon, something in my gut just told me to cancel the d&c so I asked for a few more blood tests to see what was going on before we went ahead with the surgery.  4 days later, my HCG level had increased.  4 more days later, it increased again. Since the idea of me having become pregnant was so inconceivable, he thought I had a rare placental tumor that would require chemotherapy.  We came back a few more days later for more tests.... And then we saw a gestational sac on the ultrasound.  Holy cow.  Dr. P was blown away. 

Fast forward to Friday... our miracle baby is now almost 10 weeks old.


Michelle, the ultrasound tech, was surprised that we were able to see the arms and legs so clearly!!! She said that the baby was moving around like crazy and had a wonderful heartbeat of 175!!

My OB's office has been truly wonderful.  They know the hell we've been through in the last year and they are being beyond amazing.  Instead of having appointments every 4 weeks like normal, I go every 2 weeks.  They are going to monitor me extremely closely with many ultrasounds, 24 hour urine tests, etc. 

We are currently debating CVS testing.  I am not sure that I could handle delivering a baby with Trisomy 13 or 18 and having to bury another baby.  The risk of miscarriage is low but there is still a risk and I'm afraid that we'd be in that small percentage like we have been for everything else so far.

Oddly... this baby is due October 1, 2012.  Only 1 week after Alexander's death date, September 23rd.  Since I'm supposed to have a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks (if we're lucky enough to escape pre-eclampsia this time), it was difficult to imagine having a baby born at the same time that our son died.  I felt that the baby's birthday would always be overshadowed with grief and sadness.  The OB's office agreed wholeheartedly and we will do an amnio at 37-38 weeks to check the lung maturity and deliver around 38 weeks instead of 39 weeks.

In the meantime.... we just pray and hope that everything goes well.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Congrats on your growing bean! I will very much keep you in my prayers!

Anytime you want to talk with someone going through the first pregnancy after the loss, you let me know. I'm 16 weeks now. xx, Nikki

Sara said...

Thanks!! Every day I'm convinced something has gone wrong. Thankfully, it's getting easier to find him/her with the doppler!